Double Cheese & Veggie Quiche
1 9-inch unbaked pastry shell
canola or olive oil, for cooking
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed or chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
4-5 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 large eggs
1 cup half & half
salt & pepper
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1-2 cups grated cheddar, Gruyere, Gouda or other meltable cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- Line the pastry shell with foil and fill with pie weights; bake for 10-15 minutes, until the edge is starting to turn
- golden and the pastry bottom is set.
- Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil in a heavy skillet set over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 4-5 minutes, until
- soft. Add the garlic, red pepper and asparagus and cook for another few minutes, until the peppers are tender and
- any excess moisture has cooked off. Spread into the bottom of the pre baked shell.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, half & half, and some salt and pepper. Stir in the feta and half the
- grated cheese. Pour over the veggies and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the
- filling is puffed, golden and set. If the edge of the crust is browning too quickly, cover the pie loosely with foil.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Serves 8.